Sunday, November 28, 2004

Feeling Squirrely

There's nothing quite like seeing your husband curled up in nearly the fetal position, looking out the door at the squirrels, saying, "I'm just a peanut! An innocent little peanut!" All this whilst holding onto a string that is tied to the peanut that is in the middle of the deck, and pulling it everytime a squirrel grabs hold of the nut.

I walked in on this and he said, "I'm fishing for squirrels!"

I'm happy to report - the squirrels won. They broke the string and took off with the nut!

In other Squirrel news, we've got a Mama Squirrel that is just adorable that's been dining at our deck cafe on a daily basis. We know she's a mama because she is either nursing or about to start nursing any day now. LOL She waddles like she's pregnant, but I certainly hope that's not the case. I can't imagine newborn squirrels surviving long this time of year. Anyway, she will go through TWO bowls of sunflower seeds by herself every day. And we're probably talking a cup and a half of seeds in each bowl! PLUS all the peanuts I'll give her. And I give her quite a few. She's an amazing eater. It's getting to the point where I can generally be within two feet of her, and she won't run away. I'm trying to get her to take the peanuts out of my hand, but we haven't bonded that well yet. But she definitely knows that I'm the ones bringing her the nuts. LOL

The squirrels around here will come to the door begging for food if the bowls are empty. They'll come right up to the sliding glass doors and peer in. It's too damn cute!