Friday, February 24, 2006

Babies

Have I ever mentioned how much it PISSES ME OFF that people who don't want kids can seem to pop them out like there's no tomorrow, while people who would be absolutely wonderful parents can't seem to get pregnant?

My brother and sister-in-law have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get pregnant for quite a while now. They've spent a small fortune on fertility treatments and who knows what else to aid in their efforts. (My mom swears that the cause lies in the fact that Dad never did sit down and have "the talk" with my brother.) Recently, they gave up on the medical side of making babies and have been concentrating on adoption.

This thrills me beyond belief. There are so many kids out there who need good homes. (Ok, I have to admit, I don't understand people who spend years and years and years*** and eleventyseven gazillion dollars*** trying to have kids of "their own" when they could simply adopt and have a family and be happy. But that's coming from someone who never had the urge to get pregnant to begin with - I was 19 when I got pregnant with Alex, so that little tug never nagged at me. Oh, and I'm also the woman that feels her step-kids are her own - biology has nothing to do with parenthood, damn it. Yeah.) Last night my brother called me up on his way home from a meeting with the adoption service, and he gave me even more good news. They're considering adopting a mixed-race baby. Personally, I think mixed-race kids make the most gorgeous kids. I wonder why that is? But the kid's looks aren't what make me happy about this. It's the fact that not only are they hoping to adopt a child, they're not even being picky about adopting one that looks like them! And mixed-race kids are less likely to be adopted than straight-caucasion kids. This is awesome.

Now all they have to do is come up with the fundage. I hope they do it quickly...I want a niece or nephew!

***I should clarify that I don't mean two or three years, here. I mean seven, ten, twelve years and hundreds of thousands of dollars!