Monday, May 03, 2004

Our Secret

Throughout the last couple of months, I've shared a secret with each of the kids. "I love being your mommy." I don't think that's quite the same thing as, "I love you." For some reason, they all, or at least the two younger ones, seem to think it's something special...which is exactly what I was hoping for. Maybe that's because anybody can love them - grandmas, friends of the family, even people who have treated them badly have said it. But nobody has ever told them she loves being their mommy. No woman has let them know that taking care of them makes her lucky. No woman has let them know that taking care of them is a special privilege. No woman has ever let them know that taking care of them isn't just a chore that she has to do.

With Mother's Day coming up, I've been thinking about being a mom. It's really amazing to me - just seven months ago, I only had one child. He was the only child I'd had for 8 1/2 years. And look at me now! I have not one, not two, but three beautiful kids. I didn't have to go through pregnancy, labor, or childbirth. I didn't have to change poopy diapers in the middle of the night, either. Just *poof* Instant family, just add water. And I had two more kids! Even though it's only been seven months, I love them just as fiercely as if I'd given birth to them myself. They are my kids...and nobody better mess with 'em! ;o) Yeah, this Mother's Day, and every Mother's Day hereafter, I will have been triply blessed. I mean, just look at these faces:

No comments: