Thursday, March 25, 2004

Maybe yes. Maybe no. Who decides?

So Tai is trying to manipulate me into going back to school. At least to get an associates degree. I have enough college credit to be a senior - just need a few more classes and an internship to get my bachelors in social work. The problem is, I can't do any of that from home. But perhaps getting an associates from home, or mostly from home, is a possibility via online courses.

I'm really getting rather grumpy about his manipulative approach. He didn't just say, "get a catalogue and see what you can do." He went about it the "nice" way. Made me think it was my idea. But I know it wasn't. I hate school. At least I do now, anyway.

There was a time when I enjoyed it, but that was when I was in a community college back home, and the classes were made up of adults. Then I went to ISU, where I got bombarded with 18 year old idiots. "But, but...Mr. S., if you don't give me an A, my daddy won't buy me a car!" I'm serious. This happened. "Ohhhh, you can make macaroni and cheese? I love macaroni and cheese! Maybe you can show me sometime?" This one is another favorite. That particular one was a young girl talking to a young boy in class. Yes, IN class. While I'm trying to listen to the stinking lecture. Then of course, there were the group project incidents. You know the ones...where you do 9000 hours of research, write an awesome paper, write out all of the little speeches that each member of the group has to read...but NOBODY else does any of the work? And then they complain when they get a B+ instead of an A? I think I went through six of those in my time at ISU. Always, I was the one doing all of the work. I finally called several students on it. Went to the teacher afterwards, said, "If it didn't seem like they knew what they were talking about, it was because they didn't." They failed. I got my stinkin' B+ and ran with it. I got evil looks from those same kids in every subsequent social work class I had with them.

What does a stay-at-home-mom need with a degree anyway? Will it help me clean the house better? Yeah, sure it would be nice to have something to show for all of those hours I put in at school...but really, what's the point?

No comments: