Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Homework time again

I just got through "helping" P with his homework again. What I mean by helping is doing it for him. The kid can't read, can't even recognize letters, and has a heck of a time copying letters and words from a model. Thus, I do his homework for him in highlighter, and have him trace the answers. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. I think this is the homework that gets sent home with all of the kids from his class - even though he's in special education for the reading/writing/math portions of the day. So I don't expect him to be able to do it himself. I mean, what kid who can't identify letters, can't associate them with words, etc, can unscramble letters to make words? It makes no sense.

I'm hoping that by the way we do homework, he's at least getting the idea that letters put together can make words. He has an auditory processing disorder, if you're new to the blog and are confused as to why a kindergartener can't do these things on his own. This means he has a difficult time associating sounds with letters, so writing and reading make no sense to him. He was also severely neglected by his bio-mom in regard to reading/writing, etc. He didn't even know how to hold a pencil when we got him in October. Now, at least, he can write his name. It's something!

No comments: