Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Numb, numb, numb, numb dee doo wahhhh

For the last several months - maybe even close to a year, I've been waking up with my hands feeling numb. I sleep with them over my head and under my pillow, so it didn't cause too much concern for me. I just figured I was cutting off the circulation as I slept.

But then, maybe two months ago, it started happening during the day sometimes, too. I'd be sitting on the couch watching tv, and all of the sudden, my hands would start to tingle as if they'd fallen asleep. It never got to the pins and needles stage, but they tingled and were harder to control. Again, I just chopped it up to the way I was sitting and loss of circulation.

Lately, they've been doing it more often, and it hasn't been confined to when I'm being still. It has happened while typing, driving, even while changing the laundry over from the washer to the dryer. That was the last straw. I couldn't rationalize it away that time, so I finally called the clinic.

I saw a new doctor - and by new, I mean I think this is probably his first job. He was quite thorough, but he couldn't find any reason for the numbness. Thus he ordered labs. In fact, he ordered NINE different blood tests, including, but not limited to: B12 deficiency, rheumatoid factor, lupus, and syphilis. Yes, I said syphilis. I probably didn't spell it right, but I said it. Ha! I think he had me tested for every single thing he could think of that even MIGHT cause the slightest bit of numbness.

I think they took a gallon and a half of blood from me this morning. Fortunately, the lab tech was good. She only had to poke me once, and she didn't leave a bruise. Not bad for eight tubes of blood! Darcy went with me, and she was quite impressed with the whole deal. She hadn't watched anyone have their blood drawn before. I think it was right up her alley. Sadistic little thing, isn't she?