Thursday, April 21, 2005

Modern Conveniences

It's amazing how much we've come to rely on things. The plumber is here to replace the main shut-off valve in the basement. I did the dishes and laundry last night in anticipation of the water being shut off for a while this morning. What I didn't think about, though, were little things. Like...I wanted to make coffee. Oops. Can't. Water is shut off. (Ok, so I realized pretty quickly that I COULD...we had bottled water to work with.) Tai is grilling some fish outside - but if he wants to wash his hands, he'll need to use bottled water again. Man, what a pain!

And, heaven forbid, we all go crazy if the electricity gets shut off for more than two seconds. No TV. No microwave. No a/c. No computer! How did people live like this? And when the cable goes out, there's no tv and no internet. How dare they?!

I don't remember the last time I mixed a cake batter with a fork. Or diced an onion with a knife. Or boiled a hot dog on the stove. And heaven knows I haven't used a typewriter since I was in typing class in high school!

I remember talking with my grandmother a couple of years back. She was telling me how they'd ride horses to go into the next town, and it would be a whole day trip. Now we can head a couple of states away for the day, and be back by bedtime. It's amazing the things that change in just a couple of generations, isn't it?