Monday, July 17, 2006

It's 2:52AM and I'm really damn hot.

I'm exhausted, but it's just too hot for me to fall asleep.

Our central A/C is leaking all over the basement. Well, it was. Tai took some nifty sealant stuff and sprayed it on the cement floor of the utility closet to help hold the water in and push it toward the drain. It seems to be working, too, which is good news. Unfortunately, prior to the re-turning-on of the A/C, it had gotten to over 90 degrees in the house. It's taking forever to cool off, and since our bedroom is upstairs, it seems Hell will freeze over before it's cool enough to sleep in there.

And though the water from the A/C is coralled, there appears to be another leak. I'm not sure what it's from, but underneath the water heater is becoming pretty wet, too. It sucks. There's no nifty sealant-damn in that section. I just hope I don't wake up tomorrow (if I ever get to sleep, that is) and find that it, too, has leaked enough to get into the carpet.

I'm quite serious when I say we've sucked out approximately 30 GALLONS of water from the carpet downstairs. It's ridiculous. I hope the contractors that the property owners (they are too nice to be called landlords) called on Friday make it out here SOON. And I hope my A/C won't be out of commission long once they get here. It's supposed to be in the 90s all week.

All of the kids left yesterday, and all of them made it to their destinations safely. (Perrin & Darcy went to their biomom's, and Alex went to my parents'.) Slurping water out of the carpet was NOT what Tai and I had in mind for our first day of freedom. Oh, and in addition to doing that, we also shopped for a dehumidifier. I went alone to the first four stores and had no luck. I was nearly in tears when Tai joined me for dinner. We called/looked in two more stores before we finally found one. Guess they're popular this year. Got home and got it hooked up, and IMAGINE our surprise (ha!) when it said the humidity level in the basement was around 80%. Optimal humidity levels are between 30-50% if that gives you any idea how far off we are.

I'm hot. I'm sticky. I'm sweaty. I'm tired. I'm grumpy. I'm whiny.

Is it too much to ask for things to go RIGHT for a bit while I have my husband all to myself?