Sunday, June 11, 2006

Another update

I'm just full of good news and cheer these days, aren't I?

Grandpa had decided to go home and return to the hospital for the radiation treatments only. He was home for a couple of days, but he kept getting weaker and weaker. He can't stay awake, and he can't move around on his own. Hell, he can't even stand up from a sitting position alone. Tonight, the family decided it was time to go back to the hospital.

I just talked to Mom, and it sounds like Grandpa is running a fever. They're not sure why. She pointed out to me that she knows right before someone dies, it's not unusual for them to have a fever. She also pointed out to me that that was a piece of information she wished she didn't have. Hopefully, it's just a little bug that will be easily treated with antibiotics, but at this point, we don't know yet. We're not even sure if the hospital is going to admit him or if they will send him home again.

Things aren't sounding good. I hate being so far away. 850 miles is too far.

I had planned on flying home Wednesday the 21st and coming home the following Wednesday. Now I want to get there sooner - you know - NOW. Unfortunately, the very first chance I could break free here is Friday AFTER Tai gets off work. He's in a position where he can't get leave, right now...so I have to be here with the kids. And since they fly to Vegas next Saturday, I can't take them WITH me either. It's very frustrating.