Monday, November 14, 2005

Autumn

I have a strong love-hate relationship with this time of year. I cannot think of many things more beautiful than a ray of sun hitting the flaming red, orange, and yellow autumn leaves against a crystal clear blue sky. The colors, contrast, nature...and is it just me, or does everything seem "crisper" looking in the fall? I love the smells and sounds of fall, too. The air seems cleaner, and the sound of falling leaves crashing into one another - there's nothing like it.

But the days are shorter. The sunshine is in hiding much, much too much of the day. Breakfast and dinner are both in the dark. Lunch is the only meal with light, and I eat that one alone, usually - when I eat it at all. And I can't live without my afternoon nap - I'm exhausted all the time as it is - which means I miss out on a good two hours of the sunshine that does exist. *sigh* The trees, once bare, look so...I don't know how they look. But they make me sad. They make me want to cry.

My already slug-like energy level seems to slow down even further at this time of the year, and it just gets worse and worse until spring. I'm on an antidepressant, but I don't think it's going to do the trick.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up like I do every year. Spring is coming. Not for a while, but it's coming.