Sunday, January 09, 2005

Why bother?

So today, I swished some dirty water all around on my floor in the hopes of making it clean. Does anyone else have the same problem with mopping that I do? I seriously don't get it. I mean, what's the point??? Sure. The first time you put your mop in the bucket, you're putting it into clean water. This makes sense. But when you're done rubbing it on a small bit of the dirty floor, you put the mop right back into the same bucket.

People, all that dirt you just got off the floor? It's now IN the bucket. So ya swish the mop around in the bucket of now dirty water. And then you pull it out and proceed to smoosh it back and forth on another small bit of floor. Great! Now when you put it in the bucket, even more dirt will go into the mop water. And we do this over and over and over. What the hell is wrong with us?!

I figure by the time it's all said and done, all I'm really doing is moving some of the kitchen dirt to the bathroom, and some of the bathroom dirt to the kitchen.

Generally, I choose not to mop for just that reason. What's the point? Usually, I use my "Ready Mop" or whatever the Pledge brand of Swiffer is. In other words, I put a diaper wipe on the bottom of a big stick, and I smoosh it all around on the floor (throwing away the diaper wipe when it gets too dirty & getting a fresh diaper wipe) until I'm confident that I've actually picked up a good portion of the dirt that was on the floor. This makes much more sense to me than that whole mopping thing.

But alas, my mother-in-law is coming, and I wanted the floor to not only be clean(ish), but kinda shiny, too. And my diaper wipe process doesn't leave the wood floor shiny at all. *sigh* So I thought I'd mop. Guess what? My floor isn't shiny now, either. But at least I moved the dirt from one room to another.