Thursday, November 11, 2004

How can we screw the military wives? Let us count the ways...

It's been a bit since I last wrote. Honestly, I've been such a mess that I haven't had anything to write. "Dear Diary...today I was bitchy. After that, I bitched some. And then I cried. After that, I griped about something." And, well, who wants to read THAT?

But hey, I do have a legitimate gripe. I looked into going to school again, recently. Thought about taking a few online courses...whatever. But guess what? Because Tai is in the military, I have to pay out-of-state tuition rates. Which really wouldn't be that bad, if they were even close to reasonable. But they're not. We're talking $650 per community college class! Egad! SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY BUCKS for one class! It doesn't matter that I've lived here for over a year. Or that I will be living here for the next two or three years for sure. Nooooo....that doesn't matter a bit. I'm still not considered a resident. It doesn't matter that I'm registered to vote here in Virginia. It doesn't matter that my driver's license states that my residence is Virginia. Oh no. I have to pay out-of-state tuition rates.

I wish I'd known that before I registered to vote and changed my driver's license. Otherwise, I would have kept my Illinios residency and taken online classes from THERE. But because I've changed my legal residence to Virginia, guess what? I'd have to pay out-of-state rates for the Illinois colleges, too.

This blows.