Monday, October 04, 2004

Wow, what an ego boost!

When Lifetime came out with How Clean is Your House? I wondered what on earth the point was. Who would want to have their dirty home filmed and put on a show with that title?! And why does anyone else care?

I figured it all out. I caught an episode quite by accident, honestly. I watched a movie on Lifetime, and when it was over, I grabbed the laptop and checked out Tai's new blog. I looked up, and saw IT. IT was a house as disgusting as...well...lets not go there. It was gross, to put it mildly. And I couldn't STOP looking at it - much in the way I couldn't stop watching the slugs mate, or the way a person just has to look when there is a car accident.

I sat here wondering, again, why this person had volunteered his home for the show. That, I never figured out. I also wondered, again, why anyone would want to watch it. But, as I said before, I was hooked. I couldn't stop watching. I finally figured it out. As I was watching them clean this awful, awful house, I started to feel much, much better about my housekeeping skills.

I may not always do my dishes right after dinner. I may leave clothing in the washer for a full day (ok, sometimes longer) before I finally remember to toss it into the dryer. I may not look under my bed for months at a time. The parmesan cheese may sit on the counter for three days before I finally put it in the cabinet. I may have a pile of mail and school papers on my desk. But in comparisson to THAT house, mine SPARKLES.

And THAT is the point of the show. It gives viewers an ego boost. Unless, of course, the viewer lives in a disaster such as the program shows...in which case, it provides hope. LOL