Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Settling in

We're here! And so is the cable! Woohoo! Electric was switched over to us today, water will be tomorrow, phone is hooked up, trash removal service has been ordered...it's starting to feel official.

We have a few things left at the old place - cleaning supplies mostly. Hopefully we'll get that taken care of tonight.

Perrin and Darcy came back to us safe and sound. They seemed to enjoy spending time with their biomom, and they seemed to enjoy coming home. I suppose that is the best we can possibly hope for. :)

The first night here, I must have watched over a thousand ants enter my kitchen. Needless to say, I made an immediate trip to Walmart. Tip: if you have ants, try this liquid bait stuff called Revenge ($1.33/bottle). They LOVED it - ant party time!! By the third day, there were just a few stragglers coming in here and there. Last night, we finally sealed off the hole they were entering through with spackle. Let's hope that does the trick. I finally feel like I can unpack my kitchen. Yay!

On a sad note, it looks like the garbage disposal doesn't work. We flip the switch, and it doesn't even try to turn on. Very sad indeed - particularly with the ant problem. Tai is going to call the landlord about that today, if he remembers, and hopefully we'll get that fixed. If not, I suppose we could pretend we know what we are doing and install a new one. Actually, install an old one. My parents bought me one for my birthday one year, and it turned out we couldn't install it in the apartment we were in at the time...but I kept it, so maybe we can make use of it here.

Now, if only these boxes would unpack themselves...